Dales Sports Surfaces
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Date Stamps on Bowls

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 49/38
    Given: 42/5

Default Date Stamps on Bowls

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just what is going on with bowls testing requirements?
    I was of the opinion that when bowls were manufactured they were stamped with the WB stamp and were legal to use until the expiry of this stamp
    Now,Just reading the 2008 Australian Open COP for the Australian Open and found that bowls now need to have a date stamp of 14 or higher.

I wonder what has caused the change as I believe stamp 12 was required as that was when the testing tables were standardised.

If the above is correct why then go to date stamp 14?

Is this simply another money making exercise?
    How widespread will this practice become?
    It will cost you $50 average for re testing of bowls in Aus and that does not include freight costs if you live away from the capital cities that have a testing table.
    Not so bad I guess in England as you buy bowls so much cheaper than us, hence the unpopularity of Hensellite in its country of manufacture
    Anyone can drive in a straight line, it takes skill to navigate curves.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Last time we all got our bowls tested I think it cost us about £25 a set plus a couple of quid each for petrol for the guy that took them all to the testers. Not heard any requirement for additional testing over here yet.

When the original 10 yearly testing was ditched there were quite a few testers that stopped doing and now we only have 4 (I think) testing tables in the UK although being a slightly smaller country it is no great shakes getting there and back in a day so if you have 10 or so sets of bowls it makes it worthwhile for someone to drive them all rather than sending thm by courier.

Cant believe that it will make them that much more money if it is only applied to the Aus Open, if it was blanket applied to all comps then it would look a bit fishy.

Thumbs Up/Down

I read this the other day bushy, apparently BA want to introduce testing every 3 years! Basically it's a stealth tax on top line bowlers because they couldn't get their own way for a general introduction of it.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze_josh
    I read this the other day bushy, apparently BA want to introduce testing every 3 years! Basically it's a stealth tax on top line bowlers because they couldn't get their own way for a general introduction of it.

A small change on narrow biassed bowls can make a big difference, it just makes sense to be sure, if a top flight bowler, that your bowls are legal.

Bushy I think it was 14 last year as well. I think you have a baseless conspiracy theory here, that BA is somehow in collusion with the manufacturers...just plain ridiculous in my opinion!
    OZ No.1 Bowls Blog - www.bowlsblog.com

Thumbs Up/Down

I guess mick the thing that really EEKS myself and many others is that there seems to be an ongoing tax on bowlers to keep having almost new bowls, which, you must admit, carry a stamp saying they are legal to use for 10 years, and yet have to be repeatedly tested over and over.
    If the bowls manufacturers are going to use soft compounds then cut back to a 5 year stamp.
    And at the same time drop the ridiculous high cost of bowls in Australia.
    (Hey any news on getting the chinese to make bowls as yet)
    That would drop the price

Thumbs Up/Down

Having read this LAW, Do Bowls Australia have the right to overide World Bowls?
    Here is the law pertaining to bowls and the stamp issued.

9 Bowls: World Bowls Stamp
    1. Licensed Manufacturers and Licensed Testers are entitled to imprint the registered World Bowls Stamp between the inner and outer rings of bowls. Imprints on the running surfaces of bowls should be avoided wherever possible.

WB World Bowls
    A is the code letter of the Licensed Manufacturer or Licensed Tester
    Numbers is the year that the stamp expires

(in this example, 2013)
    R shows that the stamp is a registered trademark

2. The current World Bowls Stamp was introduced on 1 April 2002 and should be used on all new and re-tested bowls from that date.
    3. Both the International Bowling Board (IBB) and the World Bowls Board (WBB) stamps, which were used before the current World Bowls Stamp, will be valid until the end of the year that the stamp expires. (For example, the stamp in the above illustration would not be valid after 31 December 2013.)

4. If bowls are imprinted with the registered World Bowls Stamp and are in line with the Laws of the Sport of Bowls in all other ways, they can be used in all games under the control of WB or any Member National Authority.
    5 For domestic play, Member National Authorities can decide the requirements for the stamps on bowls.

Now sure clause 5 above this statement says what it says, but is the Australian Open a DOMESTIC event?
    One would think being Australias Premier event with qualification to the World Champion of Champions, you could hardly call it a Domestic Event, could you

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

tough lot of administrators you got down there!
    here any bowl with a visible stamp for 1985 or later is acceptable up until the final stages of the national championship. the provision in the laws for domestic arrangements is to make things easier not harder!
    anyway, how many times have you heard of bowls failing the test?
    if none or virtually none, its just a licence to print money.
    ruff!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 43/6
    Given: 11/5

Bushy,
    A domestic event according to the definitions in the Laws is and event run outside the control of World Bowls Ltd
    So yes the Aussie open is a domestic event and they can stipulate the date stamp requirements for that competition.
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down

Ok now im really confused
    We play under laws set down by World Bowls
    they can make their own rules for the Australian Open
    But they cant make their own rules for the pennant competition and .................
    Hells bells, no wonder bowlers are bamboozled everywhere
    World bowls makes the rules, but then if it pleases them Bowls Australia can play what they like, but if its not what they want, like an ammendment to the minimum length etc they cant change that
    Ohhhh I give up. its too Bloody confusing
    I need a drink
    No. I need a keg
    So we dont play the Aussie open under crystal mark laws then we use raffetys rules, is that what youre saying?
    If world bowls doesnt control the game, how on earth ...................

Bloody hell, first time ive been lost for words, pacholli will have me for breakfast on this one.
    Go for the Jugular mick, im gutted
    Last edited by Bushman; 14-11-2007 at 01:05 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

don't give up too soon! just read the cm laws on the point. 9.3 says
    "for domestic play (ie national, state/county, or club run events ) member national authorities (ba in your case) can decide the requirements for the stamps on bowls.
    so you are playing to cm laws (outdoors) - its just for particular laws there is provision for national bodies to have variations.
    i still think its not on to introduce more stringent stamping requirements than in the laws unless your aussie greens are in fact concrete with green paint
    ruff!